Skip to main content

4 Jan 25 - joy beginning to outweigh fear

I wore my new long nightdress to bed last night as it was another cold night. It was the first time I’ve worn it. It’s a medium and perhaps need a large around my big male chest, but for the rest of my body it fits perfectly. It’s surprisingly long, all the way to my knees, which means it’s the same length as my dressing gown so risky to keep it on when coming down this morning. 

There was quite a bit to put away before opening my door today. The nightdress I had been wearing, the strappy vest I had worn yesterday and the 18 pairs of knickers I had arranged along the top of the radiator to finish drying! It will be so much easier if I can be open about what I am wearing. 

I’m still slightly surprised by how relaxed and matter of fact I felt when I emailed the endocrinologist yesterday. I used to scared to even Google feminising hormone therapy in case anyone found out my secret, but now I just write to them saying I want to start this and pursue medical and social transition, like it’s not a big deal at all. I’m interpreting my calmness to mean certainty. I know for sure this is what I want so I have no hesitation in doing it. Could it also mean that I am in denial about the seriousness of what I’m starting and the implications? It could, but I am not unaware of this. I spend a great deal of time thinking about the consequences and how I will live in the world but having spent so long getting to this point I feel like I care less about the negative consequences and am more able to see the potential joy. It’s like for the first time ever, joy has grown to outweigh fear and the balance has tipped in favour. And maybe fear has diminished too and that is what tipped the balance. Either way, it’s nice to feel optimistic and certain that I am going forward with my transition. 

Went to the football with my son today and it was freezing. Taking advantage of my secret female wardrobe, I put on leggings under my jeans and wore my vest under my top. Added layers for warmth, plus it’s nice to feel them and be aware that they are there. If 6,500 people there, probably 5,000 men, I wonder how many others were wearing women’s underwear. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...