Skip to main content

2 Feb 2025 - don’t know what to do

I’m still feeling pretty spun out by this whole situation and not knowing how or when or even if I can start transitioning or whether I should give up on the whole thing or what. The state of that sentence says a lot about the state of my mind. 

I haven’t done anything about trying to organise blood tests to be able to book the endocrinologist appointment and I don’t know when or if I’m going to at the moment. 

Exchanged a few messages with one of my ally friends earlier this week and she was pushing me to go to therapy to help sort out my thinking. I’m a bit reticent about that although that is probably partly some preconceived ideas about what therapy is and who it’s for (by implication, not me).  Of course she could be right and maybe some external help is what I need. I did find talking to the gender clinic really helpful after all. 

Speaking of therapy, we have been watching Shrinking on Apple TV which is a comedy about therapists. One of them was talking to a gay friend who had tried to date women in college to hide his sexuality and she asked him what sex with “straight” Brian was like. He said half an hour of pleasuring her then making an excuse before it was his turn. That is just how I feel about sex. Which makes sense having discussed this at the gender clinic. 

Yesterday did afford me the opportunity to do some more laundry and to shave my legs and wax some of my back hair, the bits I can reach anyway. I also tried to wax my bottom as a hairy bum and pretty knickers is not a good look. It wasn’t entirely successful and residual wax did stick my cheeks together which feels really weird!  It is great to be free of body and leg hair though. It is one of the dysphoria triggers to be covered in hair, so getting rid of it is good. 

I’m hopeful of being able to go out dressed on Wednesday so needed to shave my legs to wear tights and a skirt. As always, I’m a bit apprehensive about the prospect of going out en femme but I have to be able to do these things if I’m going to be able to transition because that will be my every day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...