Skip to main content

3 Jan 25 - first email to endocrinologist

Although I suspect it is a lost cause, I do want to try to persuade my wife that I can transition without it necessarily meaning the end of our relationship. 

I was thinking about this as I was walking along the beach yesterday. I suppose my plan is to do things gradually and hope that each little step can receive acceptance, albeit reluctantly, and that she will get used to it and eventually realise that it isn’t that bad and doesn’t adversely affect her. But that doesn’t feel quite right to me because that implies that everything I will do in my transition is a negative thing that has to be carefully introduced and at best tolerated. I know I’m an overly optimistic person, but it shouldn’t feel like everything is negative. Transitioning is amazing, it is literally changing the gender of your body and that’s incredible. It’s a massive adventure into the unknown and new experiences and changes and it would be wonderful to be part of that and share it with someone. I don’t for a minute imagine that my wife will see it that way, but if I can present it as something joyful, maybe there could be hope. She could help me choose clothes, do hair and nails and makeup together, teach me how to behave and walk and act female. It could be lovely. It probably won’t, but I can dream and hope for the best. 

The weather has turned extremely cold so I slept in one of my nightdresses last night. Only the short sleeveless one was easily accessible. I’ve got the longer one out for tonight and that has short sleeves to keep my shoulders warm. Today I have put on one of my women’s vests under my clothes for added warmth and it is doing the job. Although it has thin straps and a bit of lace trim, so is very obviously feminine, this doesn’t show through the rugby shirt I’m wearing so should be fine. 

It would be so much easier for me if I could be open about things like my underwear. Would make laundry a lot easier for a start. I have got a short window of opportunity today to put my knickers through a quick wash. I will then have three weeks of clean pairs so I can continue with wearing female underwear everyday. By then, our son will be back at university and maybe I can have talked to my wife and be able to include them in the normal laundry openly. 

Whilst the laundry was going, I have sent an email to the endocrinologist enquiring about a consultation for feminising hormone therapy. I’m amazed how calm I feel about doing this and that I’m not hesitant at all. I just wrote the email and sent it. 

I’m still slightly surprised by how relaxed and matter of fact I felt when I emailed the endocrinologist. I used to scared to even Google feminising hormone therapy in case anyone found out my secret, but now I just write to them saying I want to start this and pursue medical and social transition, like it’s not a big deal at all. I’m interpreting my calmness to mean certainty. I know for sure this is what I want so I have no hesitation in doing it. Could it also mean that I am in denial about the seriousness of what I’m starting and the implications? It could, but I am not unaware of this. I spend a great deal of time thinking about the consequences and how I will live in the world but having spent so long getting to this point I feel like I care less about the negative consequences and am more able to see the potential joy. It’s like for the first time ever, joy has grown to outweigh fear and the balance has tipped in favour. And maybe fear has diminished too and that is what tipped the balance. Either way, it’s nice to feel optimistic and certain that I am going forward with my transition

Comments

  1. So exciting! Hopefully the wait won’t be too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s funny but I feel a bit conflicted about timing. Having decided that I want to go for this, I am really impatient to get started as soon as I can and desperately awaiting their reply…but also I’m not quite sure when the timing is right and whether it not happening for a little while might actually fit better around my life. Or maybe that’s just fear talking and some defensive thinking to put off the day that the changes become noticeable and I have to go full time? But then I want to go full time, that’s the whole point! This is all just really difficult.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...