Skip to main content

10 Oct 24 - resilience

I had lunch today with my peer mentor and one of the things we spoke about was resilience and where it comes from. 

I know that I am very resilient but I have no idea how or why. 

We could both talk about how we maintain it through sleep and diet and exercise and reflection but that is just maintenance, not the source. 

I could probably add journalling to the list of activities as I do find benefit in this. 

Maybe I could also add being trans. Having this whole secret dimension to who I am and having to challenge myself to do scary things must surely help to build my inner strength. 

The other major factor in that is that I have to do it all alone.  I have no support or help, so the strength can only come from me. Not just in a trans context either. Because I am different and don’t fit in with any particular group, I feel as an outsider everywhere so have no support in anything. That sounds bad, but I think it’s good for self-reliance and inner strength to know you only have yourself and not to look to anyone else for help or solutions. 


I am thinking therefore that maybe I should do the gender clinic appointments on my own, because that is how I have to deal with life and certainly how I have to face my transness.  

I did email the clinic to ask whether they allow and encourage spouses to attend the appointment and they do “encourage you to attend with a supportive other”.  I’m sure that’s true, but the key word there is surely “supportive” and I don’t know if that is the case. I support her in everything but it isn’t really a balanced relationship and I still have to rely on my own strength to support myself. Maybe I’m being unfair by not giving her the opportunity to support me by keeping my transgender feelings from her? I have only once told her anything, when I “came out” to her in April and haven’t discussed it since. Her reaction to that though was not very supportive, more about how it would affect her than about me. Understandable in the moment, but there has seemingly been no curiosity since to learn more or hear any of my story. I assume that is denial and hoping that if we don’t talk about it, it will just go away. However, if she were to come with me to the gender clinic, she would need to have heard it all before then, as her hearing things for the first time and reacting emotionally during the session would be counterproductive. 

The big question I have to ask myself is: am I being pragmatic and sensible, or merely cowardly as I don’t want to face talking about my gender with her again?

Comments

  1. I’m the same, living a don’t ask don’t tell life. If I (or you) will ever get to transition it’s a hurdle to get over.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...