Skip to main content

Gender questioning: in the beginning - the first dress

 The first time I wore a dress was a special feeling. 

At the time, I didn’t know that I was in any sense transgender or gender questioning. I was thirteen and didn’t even know such things existed. I was aware that when I looked at the girls in my class, part of my fantasy was to wonder what it felt like to wear their clothes, and especially their underwear and tights and skirts. 

My first opportunity to find out was slightly unexpected and from the source of my German teacher who wanted her class to stage a pantomime for Christmas. In German obviously. 

I was cast as one of the ugly sisters (oh how apt!) or to give me my German name, a hassliche schwester (apologies for the spelling, it’s been a while and there should probably be an umlaut in there somewhere.)

Our teacher kindly provided the costumes, and I was issued with a dress. It was a long strapless gown of gold satin, which my mum surmised has come from the teacher’s kids dressing up box as it had some elastic sewn in at the top to use as a halter neck and hold it up, and had a few splashes of poster paint on it. My mum washed it and sewed a couple of balled up sock into the chest so my ugly sister would have big fake boobs. 

I remember trying it on for the first time and how it felt, having a lot of fabric around my legs and then the bodice all over my body. The dress zipped up at the back. It was quite tight on me and when the zip was done up and I felt my body pulled in and the fabric tight all over, it was the best sensation! I loved it! 

Suffice to say, I tried the dress on a few times in secret before the play and I was very disappointed to have to hand it back in after the show. 

Although I have many of my own female clothes now, these are mostly casual and I don’t have a ball dress to wear. I am like Cinderella! Poor me. 

So at thirteen, I was dreaming of wearing my classmates bras and skirts; wearing a dress was the most wonderful feeling; I constantly fantasised about having breasts and getting periods. And I had no idea at all that I might be transgender! Really. The very idea just didn’t exist in my world. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...