Skip to main content

What wearing a bra means to me

My bra and my gender identity 

To me, as a “new maiden” (boy who dreams of being a girl), wearing a bra means a lot.
More so than any other garments or things I do, it is the bra that makes me feel like a girl.
It was the first type of lingerie I ever tried on. My mother’s of course.
Then later my own.
I’ve had all sorts of styles over the years, padded and not, wired and not, full cup, balcony, sports, long line. I’ve tried a lot!
Why?
To me, their something special because they are something girls have and boys don’t.
They’re secret but also not: there is an outline of the bra visible through a top, a glimpse of a shoulder strap. And imagining how it feels to be her.
They’re a rite of passage for girls. The first bra a sign of growing into a woman. A journey and experience I dream of but have no experience of.

How does it feel to put on a bra

So what does it mean to me to put on a bra?
It’s a kind of ritual of becoming “me” for a while.
The first stage of the ritual is to hold it up to my chest and feel the cool fabric against my skin.
Stage two is to fasten the chest band. Depending on how tight the bra, I may be able to do that behind my back, or have to put it on backwards and then manoeuvre it round. The band around my chest feels snug and I like the way I can feel it stretch and relax with my breathing. I wonder if “real” girls ever think like this?  Maybe when they first start wearing them I suppose.
The third stage is to pull and adjust it into the right place on my chest and back. I don’t have any actual breasts of my own, but with a tight underwired bra, it shapes and cups the skin and (lets be honest, layer of fat under the skin). With the cups still down, the cupped shape is breast like: there’s softness and movement and my nipples point out. At this stage I genuinely feel like I have breasts, small as they are, but they feel real to me.
The final  stage of the ritual is to cover them with the cups and pull the shoulder straps on. First one, then the other. With the shoulder straps on, my breasts feel secured and I feel, somehow, complete.
So that is what wearing a bra means to me. I feel complete.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...