Skip to main content

13 Dec 24 - came out to a colleague!

I had in no way planned or intended to be coming out to anyone today, or any time soon really. Also, I had a clear idea of which of my colleagues I would speak to first and it was not the one I ended up speaking to. 

It was the office Christmas lunch and this is quite a boozy event. I had much too much to drink, but so did everyone else so that’s all good. 

I’m not sure how it came about but one of the young women asked me what my secret wish was. I think it was because she had a piercing in the morning and so she asked what piercings or tattoos I was holding back from getting. I said none, which is truthful. She said well there is something though, and I said it was far too complicated to share. 

A bit later on, we had moved to another bar and she smilingly asked if I was drunk enough yet to tell her. I laughed and said no. 

Later still (but still only 5:30 or something!) she asked me again. And I said no I couldn’t tell her that. She promised to keep a secret and suggested I whisper it to her. 

So I whispered “I am transgender. I identify as a trans woman. Nicola, my name is Nicola”. Or something similar. I was quite drunk so some details could be hazy. 

She was immediately supportive and gave me a hug and said how proud she was that I felt able to talk to her, that she thinks I’m amazing and should just do it and live as a woman now and be me.  

It really was the best possible reaction. Coming out is scary because it is so vulnerable and you are completely in the hands of the other person and don’t know how they will react. When it goes well and you get a wonderful reaction, the pay off for that vulnerability is immense and joyful. 

We talked a bit about how long I had felt this way, what I would like to do, what I feared that held me back. She asked if I wanted her to call me Nicola from now on. 

There was a lot of joy and smiling and hugs. Some random person came over and commented about how we appeared to be sharing a special moment. Very try but they had no idea!

I left to get the train and she insisted on walking with me and we talked some more. At some point, she told me that female puberty is brutal, which is not the best news, but I guess she knows better than me. 

It was all super lovely. I’m a bit hazy on everything we talked about and it feels like a bit of a blur, not just because of the alcohol but all the feelings were overwhelming but all happy. Really happy. 

Later on, she sent me a message:

I'm honestly so touched that you felt like you could share it with me. I'm just so sad for you that you've had to live with being somebody else for so long 🧡

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...