Skip to main content

17 Jun 24 - gender clinic booked!

So this was a momentous day and now I’m feeling something!

Having submitted the registration form last night, I received an email inviting me to a two stage assessment on 18th and 26th November. There were links in the email to book and pay. All I have to do is click and enter some details and I have an appointment. 

The email was addressed to Nicola of course and I’m still enjoying that.  They also said they would send details of the voice therapist and suggested I may want to start that in the meantime before our appointment.  I’m sure it’s wrong to read too much into this, but I could infer that they have already concluded that I am trans and can proceed with transition or else why would I start voice feminisation therapy? 

Suddenly, it is starting to feel real and November is both far away and yet it is now moving fast. 

Naturally what I should do is think about this for a while, and definitely talk it over with my wife. 

Obviously what I actually did was click the link, enter my card details and just book the appointments. 

Maybe I’m too shallow and fixated on money, but paying feels more momentous than the prospect of having a gender identity assessment. It’s real and nothing could actually happen until I paid the fee, so maybe everything up to now felt easy because it wasn’t stepping across the line and I didn’t have to proceed to the next stage, I could just delete the emails and they’d never know. But now. Now I have gone and done it. No turning back now. Well I could cancel and get a refund but that’s not the point. I’m doing this! 

-—

After booking, a couple more emails arrived with some more links to questionnaires to complete shortly before the appointment. I’ve not looked at them yet.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...