Skip to main content

14th May - should I trust my intuition?

I think I am an over-thinker and I get bogged down in analysis of my own choices to the point that I never actually make any decisions at all. 

In most situations I don’t seem to be able to trust my own intuition and especially when it comes to the whole gender question. 

Given that intuition is probably the only possible guide in this matter, that explains why I am unable to make any meaningful decisions or progress. 

What would my intuition tell me though, if I were to listen to it?

That I have positive hopeful thoughts when I think about transitioning. 

Recently I was driving home thinking about how I could practically arrange the necessary appointments to start hormone treatment and the feeling I got from this was optimism. My rational mind tells me that I should feel fear and uncertainty and anxiety but I didn’t. I felt hopeful and happy. 

If I listen to my intuition, then just those feelings alone ought to tell me something. 

There’s another thing too, a phrase that keeps coming into my head, something that should scare me but instead just feels right. 

When I feel the stretchiness around my chest of the band of a bra or crop top, and the straps on my shoulders I often think it. When I shave my legs. And it most frequently comes to me if I’m sitting on the loo to pee (sorry to keep mentioning that). 

The thought that I keep having when I feel aware of these things: “this is what I will feel/do, for the rest of my life”. 

If I transition, I will wear a bra and feel that sensation all day, every day for the rest of my life. 

If I transition, I will necessarily pee sitting down for the rest of my life. 

How should I feel about that?

It sounds like a negative thing. For ever. For life. No going back, no choices any more, just this way, for the rest of my life. It certainly sounds daunting put that way. Like being sentenced to some sort of punishment that has no end. 

That is not the way I am feeling though. 

When I think “I will have to do this for the rest of my life” or “I am going to experience this feeling for the rest of my life”, I feel happy about that. I feel hopeful and optimistic. I see it more as “I will get to do this and feel this way every single day for ever, that’s amazing”. 

Even just writing this I am feeling optimistic and hopeful. 

I think it is actually pretty obvious what my intuition is trying to tell me. 

Whether or not I can trust it and follow its advice is another question. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...