Skip to main content

8th March - International Women's Day

 Today is International Women's Day and the firm was doing various events related to that.  

To be honest, I don't really approve of the corporate (mis)appropriation of IWD.  For one thing, it seems somewhat hypocritical when the rest of the year many organisations do nothing and the gender pay gap and glass ceilings remain intact.  Moreso though, whilst these are problems, they are very much first-world problems. I think the corporatisation of IWD ignores the international part, which is surely the point of the event, to highlight to appalling ways in which women and girls have to live in some parts of the world.  I didn't see any corporate events talking about that.  

I had two meetings today which showed IWD in contrast.  The first was with a female leader of a business, runs a female entrepreneurship network.  One of the things we touched on was how little private equity investment goes to female founders (depending on your source, it's between 1-3% which is shockingly low).  Later on, I went to an event, coincidentally on venture capital, business angels and early-stage investment.  Not a single woman in the room.         

It is of course a difficult day for the secret trans woman.  I want to stand with women and campaign for their rights and to do so as one of them.  But they think I'm a man, so the best I can be is a well-meaning ally who can't really understand the issues anyway due to his male privilege. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...