Skip to main content

6th March - feel like giving up

I would love to be able to say that yesterday was just a blip, and maybe I was tired from traveling a lot the day before, but today is just the same. 

The idea of me transitioning, being a woman and being happy seems so remote and impossible that I feel like I may as well give up on it. 

Last week I was worrying about how I could fit in with the professional community if I transitioned and concluded probably not.  

Now I'm feeling crushed by the sense that my whole envisioning of who I could be is an impossible fantasy.  What might have been, if I had been able to transition before university - not that this would have been possible in the late eighties / early nineties anyway?  Even if it had been possible, and I had enough information to know I could do it at the optimum time, and if family barriers and school bullying could be overcome, even on that highly unlikely hypothetical scenario, I still wouldn't have been who I envision.  Not only is it impossible now, it always was.  

So I'm what?  Mourning the loss of something that could never have happened in the first place? Can't have lost what doesn't and couldn't exist.  

Is it that I'm mourning the loss of the dream?  

Dreams don't exist either, but my dream was real to me.  

The problem is, there is nothing for me, or even of me, in my reality.  A dream is what I have to keep me going.  If the dream is gone, then where do I go from there?

What is the point of transition and all that would entail, what I would lose and the personal cost, to not then win the dream as the reward for the journey?  To get something less-than?  

It's only worth doing if there's a prospect of happiness at the end of it.  If I can't see any prospect of that, which today I really can't, then the only answer is to give up.    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...