Skip to main content

7th February - a not great day

I’ve had one of those fairly annoying days to be honest. Mostly work related but also because of the work the necessity to play the role of male me and fit in with expectations, all of which was a bit annoying and left me feeling not great. 

One of my colleagues did comment on my hair getting longer and how I should aspire to a pony tail. I laughed it off, as it was hardly the time or place to explain that I am initially aiming to get it long enough for a bob cut but then I’m going to let it grow out until I can manage a proper femme ponytail. I very much doubt this particular colleague would ever understand any of the things I could tell him. 

Joanne commented on my post from yesterday about being unable to explain why I feel the need to transition, that for her, she feels the need to make her body congruent with her mind. 

I can certainly relate to that, and have probably even said something similar to that effect in my ramblings on here at some point. I wonder whether it is about my body matching my own perception of myself that matters though, or is it about my presentation matching the person I want to be? A major driver for me is a need to fit in with other women and be part of the female world. That is possible with a close friend after time to be accepted, but for new people or more casual acquaintances, appearing to be a man is a shorthand to give them an expectation of who I am, ie he looks like a man, he’s probably a man (with all the associations that entails) and not one of us (women). I want more than anything to be one of the women, so if I look like a woman and the shorthand assumption is then, woman, so one of us, then I’m closer to being part of something that my masculinity denies me access to. 

I have to feel real though. Trying to present as a woman and be accepted into the group, whilst knowing that I have no breasts and male parts, I won’t be able to feel real. And I think that it would always be in the back of the minds of the women I am with, that I’m a man really, under it all. 

So congruence with body and mind is a part of it. 

Being able to be seen as a woman and be part of that world through the shorthand of how I present is probably a bigger thing, and for that to feel authentic the need for my body to be changed is necessary. 

Those aspects I actually can explain, which is good. 

There is still a little more to it though, and which I can’t explain. My body shape doesn’t please me, but the idea of a female body shape does appeal to me and I don’t know why or what it is about it that feels like I should be that. This goes right back to the beginning when I started puberty and wished I was developing like the girls at school rather than the way I was. Why did I feel any of that?  Why do I still feel now that I should have breasts and curves and wish my body had that feminine softness? This is the part that I still can’t explain. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...