Skip to main content

4 February - what does this mean?

I wrote yesterday that a bit of playful role play with a friend had turned rather serious and she had hit me with some difficult questions that I wasn’t quite sure how to respond to. 

Naturally I immediately fell into yet another cycle of “this is all impossible, I should give up this whole trans nonsense idea, what was I even thinking?”! 

No surprise there.

Anyways…

So the thing she said that I couldn’t deal with was “what does that mean?”  

It hadn’t really occurred to me that some of these things need to be explained. I know what I mean when I say I feel like a woman inside and within the community of trans women I talk to online, they do too, so I take for granted that it is understood.  

That isn’t necessarily the case though for non-trans people.  People who don’t obsess about their gender don’t really think about what it might feel like to be the other, or even what it feels to be the gender they are, because they just are and don’t question it.

How do I explain what it means then?

I don’t really feel like a man.  What does that mean?

I don’t relate to or want to have masculine characteristics. I have no wish to be manly or dominant or strong or unemotional and certainly not misogynistic or chauvinistic or aggressive. I know that is not all men, but it is definitely not me.

I don’t feel comfortable with groups of men and I don’t fit in, or have much to say to them and sometimes male conversations are uncomfortable for me. 

By contrast I feel totally comfortable and at home with groups of women, feel like that is where I fit in and I can make conversation naturally and feel part of it.

My closest friends have always been female, but I envy real female friendships which can be even closer. I yearn for that.

Simply, I always wished I was a girl. That just fits who I am in a way that man doesn’t.  

I still don’t feel like I can articulate it properly, particularly defining something by what it is not doesn’t really work. I need to work this out.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...