Skip to main content

Gender questioning: in the beginning - female embodiment fantasies

The term “female embodiment fantasies” is something I have learned fairly recently, thanks to the Internet and the access it gives me to papers on gender dysphoria and transgender issues. 

What I am going to write about here is my inner world as a teenager. A time when I had never heard of gender dysphoria, female embodiment fantasies or even trans gender. I was aware of “gay”, and that everyone at school viewed that as a Bad Thing, but that was all I knew. I didn’t know anyone who identified differently, had never even heard of anyone changing their gender. This was the nineteen eighties and I knew nothing. 

I knew nothing about gender identity but I did know how I felt. 

Please forgive the indelecacy, but as a teenage boy (for so I was), I spent a fair bit of my time fantasising and pleasuring myself. That is normal I guess, but was the subject matter of my fantasies “normal”? 

I am sure I stared at my female classmates just as much as the rest of the boys did. But did I see the same thing? 

I saw girls wearing skirts and the line of their underwear. I expect that the normal boy thing is to see their legs and the shape of their bottoms. I fantasised about the knickers and how it would feel to wear a pencil skirt and to walk with my thighs restrained by it. The school skirt was navy blue, knee length and fitted, pencil skirt style, with a triangle bit at the back with some extra fabric in so it allowed more freedom of movement. If I knew the first thing about fashion I might know the proper name for that, but I’m afraid I don’t so you will have to rely on my poor description. Why do I mention it at all? Because when the girls walked, it pulled tight and then slack again, and the tight the other way, then slack...how did that feel? My trousers didn’t dictate my stride length. I didn’t feel them with every step, like the girls must have. 

Naturally, I observed their breasts too, and that would be normal. Except I was not just interested in them, I wondered how they felt. Through the thin white cotton blouses that were the girls’ uniform, I could see the shape of their bras. From the front, the white triangles of the cups and the thin strap going over the shoulder. From behind, the straight horizontal band, tight around their slender body, with the thin shoulder straps at right angles. The idea of the bra was always overwhelmingly fascinating to me. It was nothing like anything I wore and was part of the special identity of being a girl. In my mind I felt it was like a “contraption” that was fastened around the girl’s body in some sense, but on the other hand, something that gave security and protection. I was fascinated, but clearly also confused! And I was a long way from just thinking about boobs. 

The odd way in which I looked at girls extended into my fantasy world. Although I wouldn’t have been able to describe them as such at the time, not knowing such things, my dreamworld was filled with female embodiment fantasies. 

The obvious things, like wearing a bra and knickers, tights and skirts of course. But also fantasising about having a female body and particularly to have breasts. 

I had no way of realising that sort of dream, or even knew it could be possible to do so, but my imagination dealt with that. 

I imagined meeting a genie who could grant me three wishes. Without hesitation, wish number one would be to be born a girl. It still is. And then I would imagine what my life would be like, about my body and clothing and what my periods would feel like and how much they hurt. 

Alternatively, I would imagine I was forced to become female by some controlling state. Maybe I was captured and wrongly imprisoned and experimented on? Or quite often, I would imagine being locked into an iron leotard that concealed my true gender and gave me a feminine body shape and I couldn’t ever remove it. I think maybe I had recently seen the film of the Man in the Iron Mask and had put my own twist on it. Freud would probably say I felt a need to be seen as female and lock away my male body but needed it to be done forcibly against my will because I was too afraid to admit to who I am. Or something like that. 

Which might be true as my fantasies around that time did tend towards being made to be female by someone else, never by coming out and saying that was what I wanted. 

So that’s a bit of inappropriate sharing from my teenage mind. I’ll end here  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...