Skip to main content

Best bra styles for cross dresser or trans woman

As I may have mentioned in a post or two, for me, wearing a bra is a major part of defining the female side of myself.

What type of bra best shapes me?

Shopping as a male it has largely been guess work, until I was brave enough to go for a bra fitting, so I have a range of styles, some more successful than others.
So, I thought I would compare and contrast a few.
First, for comparison, without bra:
Me without a bra flat chested because I’m a man

Balcony bra gives me a feminine shape

As a natural male, I obviously don’t have any actual breasts, as you can see. Even so, this dress (from Next) is still moderately flattering. Starting with unpadded styles, I have a Debenhams balcony type from the Gorgeous range Debenhams Gorgeous Balcony Bra It’s a size 32D Whig is far too tight on the chest band, and too large a cup. But, the tight band and underwire does give me some shape:

Tight balcony bra gives male chest female shape
Hopefully you can see some shape there. The shaping also alters how my “breasts” feel and it really does mould a shape that feels real to cup and press. The lace trim on the cups does bag a bit, as they’re not full enough, and being very tight, it can get uncomfortable after a while.

Non padded full cup bra gives a nice shape and feeling

My other non-padded style is Marks and Spencer.
Marks and Spencer Jacquard lace underwired non padded full cup bra
Also size 32DD because the tight band and underwire creates the shape and the more robust styles for the fuller bust have broader stronger bands. This is how it looks:
Full cup bra shapes male chest and feels feminine

There is still shape and they feel nice and real but the full cup style doesn’t push them up and together like the balcony style so I don’t think it looks so good under a dress.

Finally, let’s try some padding. This is the bra I got from my bra fitting at Marks and Spencer: Perfect fit padded push up bra. This is size 40B which probably shows how inappropriate the 32 inch bras are! Does it give me some shape? Oh yes:

Wearing this, I have magnificent breasts and dress and tops hang better, they’re in proportion to my frame and look great. But they’re completely fake. If you touch them, it’s just padding, nothing of me in there, in fact I can’t even feel touch through the cups. And this is the downside. More comfortable and great look, but doesn’t feel real and that I don’t like.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...