Skip to main content

If a man wears a dress, does that make him gay?

Obviously not.

But actually is it obvious?
There are a lot of misconceptions about people like us Maidens.

And truthfully, seeing as we’re amongst friends here, it’s something I struggled with myself for a long time. I wasn’t too sure who or what I was (as if I am now!?) and I grew up in an era where anything unconventional was “gay” and this was seen as a decidedly “Bad Thing”. Which it isn’t.  In fact, I should explain: it is not that I was worried about being gay, it’s that I feared being found out, stigmatised and bullied.

Mind you, everyone thought I was anyway and I got plenty of stick at school.

It continued in adult life too. In my first graduate job, I had been there a year or so and after a few (many!) drinks got together with one of the girls from the admin team who said to me “I’m really surprised we’re doing this, we all thought you were gay”. Which was an odd interruption to proceedings.

Eventually, I realised that it didn’t matter anyway, and that the defining factor is probably whether you fancy men or women, nothing to do with gender identity whatsoever.

Not that me getting my head around it has stopped others from jumping to conclusions. Quite recently I was at a dinner and after many drinks was chatting with a former colleague who I had not seen for ages. She noticed me looking at a small group across the room. I was looking at the girl in the group who I rather fancy, Siobhan assumed I was looking at one of the men. She suggested as much, I denied it and she responded, (and I quote): “oh come on, you are as gay as fuck!”  Sorry, I should have said, if the name isn’t enough of a clue, Siobhan is Irish. It sounds better if you read it in an Irish accent.
“I am not” I replied indignantly (English accent).
“You so are” (again, got to get the accent right).
“Oh no I’m not”. Ok, that bit I made up, we weren’t in panto.
What I actually did was tell her the truth about who I am and how I feel. We had the most amazing conversation and it was kind of sexy too. I remember saying I found it very conflicting not knowing whether I wanted to wear her dress...and she finished my sentence: “or tear it off me”. Indeed!  Although writing this in retrospect, I now realise I’ve known her for about ten years and most of that time, she must have made her own assumptions.

I guess my “feminine side” gives off a certain vibe, seeing as lots of different people have jumped to the same conclusion. Interestingly, although maybe coincidence, the few people that have found out my truth have all been bisexual women. Probably coincidence.

Then I get to thinking: if I’m a girl inside, and I fancy girls, does that mean I’m a lesbian?
Well no, that would be silly. Just goes to show what nonsense it is to try and put labels on our feelings.
I’m just “me”. Whatever that may be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...