Skip to main content

Does shapewear work?

Best Shapewear for cross dressing 

I have tried a lot of shapewear over the years. Partly out of curiosity if we’re being honest (which I always am here!). But also in an effort to feminise my body shape. If you’ve not read my other blogs, that’s because I’m a natural male who dreams of being female. I’m not (yet) brave enough to transition or be a proper MTF transgender, if I ever will be, so I suppose for now you’d call me a cross dresser. Whatever I am, I’m not the shape I wish to be, so is shapewear a solution to that?
Obviously a padded bra has a very feminising effect on my top half. What works for hips and waist?

In no particular order, I’ve had shaping knickers, a shapewear thong, control tights, a bodysuit, another one which is wear your own bra and has thigh slimmer legs, and lastly a control slip (wyob).

So what shapewear works?

Well, most importantly perhaps, they’re all the pretty good at flattening the groin area and hiding my unfortunate maleness. But enough said about that. We’re trying to figure out what works for my femaleness.

Only one of my items actually reduces my waist size. That’s a pair of high waisted firm control knickers from Debenhams which has a wide, super elasticated band sewn into it. I’ve measured and these reduce my waist by 2cm. But they are very tight, really difficult to get that waistband up over your hips (even worse to get off to use the loo!) and I wouldn’t want to wear them for a long time.
My other shapewear doesn’t reduce my measurements but it does smooth my silhouette and my curves are more feminine. And although it doesn’t make me thinner, it does help with how I hold myself and posture, so I sort of flatten my own tummy without it being physically squeezed.

My favourite lingerie 

The best items I’ve found are Marks and Spencer secret-slimming-shaper-tights and their Marks and Spencer Firm control wear your own bra slip (which I’m wearing as we speak!). From Debenhams, the firm control Debenhams WYOB all in one body with thigh shaper gives me a nice figure and feels nice too.

One of these days, I’d love to try a corset.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...