Skip to main content

25 Aug 24 - how might I inhabit the world as a trans woman

Taking holiday allowed me to get out of constant thinking about work and has brought my gender back into focus. So, has going back to work and all that intensity pushed it back out again?  No, thankfully. I am still feeling more feminine than I was and it is in my mind a lot. 

We went to the football yesterday which was good, although our team lost, which was less so. It was the team from the city I work in and think of as home, against the team from my actual home town where I grew up. My affinity definitely lies with my adopted home. Funnily enough, I had never actually seen the other team play before, despite growing up there.  Could I imagine going into that environment as a trans woman though? Football stadia are pretty masculine places and although there are women and kids, it is majority male, and a certain type of man too, blokey blokes. Likelihood of accepting trans women, probably low. I can live without football, so not the end of the world, but these are considerations.  

We then went for dinner and drinks, which I think would be fine as a trans woman, provided we go to the right places and avoid the wrong types of bars and people there.  To be fair, that isn’t exactly different to how I am presenting male, there’s places I feel comfortable and those I avoid and these would be the same. 

Walking back home as we got near our house and it was quieter I commented to my wife that after the noise and hustle and bustle of Saturday night in town, it was nice to get to somewhere quiet and safe. She said that she wouldn’t walk this way on her own as it wouldn’t feel safe, she would take the main road. This is another thing I will have to consider. As a man, I can walk home with no fear of sexual assault (I know that can happen but it is not something that ever seems a risk to me). I do however worry about violence around pubs and so on. As a woman, my wife is almost opposite, she doesn’t so much worry where there are crowds, but does fear quiet dark places.  As a trans woman, I will have to fear both.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...