Skip to main content

22nd May - feeling a bit scared now I think about it

Having decided (and written about yesterday) that I need another trial run going in public en femme, I am now feeling a bit daunted by the idea.  

It will be only my fourth time out dressed, so it is still a new experience really, but I have at least previously proven that I can do it.  

I don't know why I still feel so fearful though.  When I did it before, it was fine.  A few people stared, but that was as bad as it got.  No big deal.  

There is also the comfort that it is as difficult as it will ever be, because I am male under the clothes, and definitely do not pass.  If (when?) I am going to be living this full time, I will have started to feminise, even a little bit, so it will be slightly less difficult.  And it will get easier with every day that passes, as I gain more and more femininity.  So what I do this week will be the most difficult, my future will be better and less hard. 

Maybe thinking of this week as "the hardest it can be" is not helping me to feel less fearful about it!  

I have been trying to motivate myself by browsing clothes online to pre-select what I might try on.  And I have chosen to go in my pencil skirt, with tights and a white top.  The top is a bit casual and the skirt is a bit smart, so they don't really go, but that then makes sense of shopping for a smarter top or blouse to go with the skirt.  By giving myself an objective, I can focus on that and it takes away some of the fear of the unknown.  

There is nothing wrong with what I am planning to do.  I need to keep reminding myself of that.  I am just a customer browsing and making a purchase.  That is not wrong and no one has any right to object or challenge me on that.  Buying a male shirt to go with my trousers or buying a blouse to go with my skirt are no different, not wrong and cause no issue to any other person.  Why does it feel like I am doing wrong and am afraid to be found out and be judged?  

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...