Skip to main content

1st March - thinking about coming out and career prospects

Working in a professional firm, and one of the more conservative professions at that, I am worried that transitioning would be the end of any prospects for my career.  I don't think they could legally fire me, but I would not expect to ever see any more career progression.  

It was quite heartening to see an email newsletter from our professional body with a series of articles on diversity and inclusion and LGBT people in the profession.  Specifically, there was an article and interview with a trans woman who had transitioned whilst at her firm, been supported in doing so, and subsequently had made partner.  It sounds like her firm is open to diversity and this has not held back her career.  Good for her!

I have reached out to connect via Linked In as it may be good to be able to talk with someone who has been there and come out of the other side, given that I am potentially going to be facing the coming out at work challenge myself.  

My direct team and people I work with day-to-day will all be fine, I'm sure.  

I can't say that I am entirely optimistic about the response of the senior people in my firm.  They've only recently realised that promoting women to partner is a good idea, and across the whole workforce, I'm only aware of about 1% who are openly LGB and 0% who are trans.  If / when I come out as trans, I am definitely going to be the first and only person to do so.  This does not feel like a comfortable position to be in.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...