Skip to main content

31 January - one month gone, many disappointments and failures

Here I am at the end of the first month of my monumental year of starting transition.  Well, that was the plan anyway.  I feel it is more a month of things that didn't happen, rather than those that did.  

The first, and biggest failure, was not talking to my wife at the outset.  Or any of the other opportunities that have arisen during the month.  That has really held back everything else.  

The second big fail is not having engaged with the gender clinic, which stems from the local doctor refusing to participate in my treatment. At least I contacted them, that is something, even if their refusal became failure number three.  

In my original plan, by now I should be out to wife and teenager, dressing female around the house at weekends, and approved to start hormones.  None of those have been achieved or are even near.  

I don't want to only focus on the negatives and things not done though as there have been a few little achievements.  

I have only worn female underwear for the whole month.  I even managed to do some laundry yesterday as my wife went out for a meeting for a couple of hours so quick wash and tumble dry, and eighteen (!) clean pairs of knickers ready to go for February.  

I have also completely habitualised sitting to use the loo, it is now my norm.  When out, I have had to stand because of the facilities available, but only four times this year, and I did know that it would occasionally be necessary, so I'll count this as a win.

My toenails are a nice glossy pink, my legs are smooth and my body hair is shaven.  My finger nails have grown and I am beginning to shape them.  

My hair has grown fairly long and covers my ears now.  I was actually due to go to the salon today but the stylist was ill, so that has been rearranged.  It was due to be another step on my journey, and I was going to tell her what I am doing and properly feminise my style into a 'bob'.  That was going to be difficult due to the other things I haven't done, but pushing it back has avoided that.  And, by deferring for three weeks, my hair will be longer by then, so more scope to do something with it.  

So, one month in, no real progress and a lot to be disappointed by.  But also, a few things done and what I have done, I like.  And although I have been around the 'I can't really be trans, this is ridiculous, give up' cycle a few times, I haven't actually given up.  At no point have I wanted to go back to boxers and be like a man again.  Not once.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...