Skip to main content

I am definitely trans

 As someone who has been blogging on and off for a couple of years about trans issues, it might seem odd that I now write a post about definitely being trans. 

If you’ve got through my earlier ramblings you’ll know that I have had a great deal of self doubt about this and even though I have wished to be a girl ever since my early teens, I have never quite been able to accept that I was actually trans. Even though I really wanted to be! 

I have this blog, and the trans community on twitter and a discord group of people like me in similar situations for support. Surrounding myself with this support network I felt more “normal” and so far as I can tell, very much like other trans folk. 

Of course my brain wouldn’t accept that my being apparently like all the other trans women meant I was one. No! Instead I started to doubt myself more and worry that it was the influence of my trans community that was making me think I was more trans than I actually am, because that’s what I want to hear. 

So I went “cold turkey” and left all the groups for the month of January, consumed no trans content, wore no female clothing, tried to think cis thoughts and not be trans at all. 

Effect?

Total clarity that I am trans and I want to transition to become a woman. 

Maybe the opposite of what I set out to achieve by taking a break! 

What matters though is that I know that this is genuinely my feelings with no outside influence. 

What is more, I felt certain that medical transition is going to happen. I have made no decision to do so, at least I don’t remember making any conscious choice, but I just know that I will do it. Not sure when, but for definite. It’s odd, as if there’s a secret part of me deciding this stuff and then telling me afterwards and I just have to go along with it  

Above all though, this discovery of certainty in who I am and what I want makes me happy and I feel free of the angst that I have always felt  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 May 26 - does my brain actually have a “girl mode”?

As I keep reflecting on my night out as Nicola last week there are a lot of questions and ideas that are swirling around in my head.  One is, whether my brain has a “girl mode”, because I felt so different and behaved in ways that were unfamiliar to me.  The really distinct difference in how I felt this time was that I didn’t feel like I was a man in a dress at all, I just felt like me. I remember thinking that this is what it is like to be “inhabiting womanhood”. Evidently I have ridiculously pretentious notions after a few drinks, but it was what I was feeling. This is what it is like to actually be a woman. Less pretentious.  An odd thing, but one which does make me wonder if my brain has some kind of “switch”, is that I looked at women differently. I am exclusively attracted to women and I am attracted to boobs and bums as much as the next man (cringe at associating with being a man). I know it is impolite to stare at a woman’s chest, and I make a conscious effort no...

21 May 2026 - a night out

Having a night on my own in London, I wanted to go out presenting female and get some more “real life experience”.  I had drinks and dinner with some colleagues early evening and to be honest had already had too much wine before I went out later by myself. This probably helped my confidence, although not my coordination with nail polish and mascara, which were a bit slapdash to say the least.  I remember last year getting in a lift in the hotel in a dress ready to go out, and being self conscious of people staring at me. This time, didn’t give it a thought. Likewise going into the underground and being on the train with other people. I didn’t notice if anyone looked at me and nor did I care. I was just me being me and wearing a skirt didn’t feel like a Thing, I wasn’t conscious of my clothes at all.  Similarly walking through a busy Soho to the bar, I just felt like I normally do walking around town.  Got to She Soho. Amazingly the bouncer asked me for ID. I’m 51...

31 Dec 25 - reflecting on the past year

I could see 2025 as a failure.  After all, I started the year with the intention to begin my transition. I still haven’t started.  I made initial contact with the endocrinologist clinic about feminising hormone therapy, but then didn’t progress that at all as soon as I encountered the blood test hurdle.  Here at the beginning of 2026, I am no closer to living as a woman than I was at the beginning of 2025. I have not come out to anyone, I don’t have a hormone prescription, my body is still male, my presentation is still full time male, everyone still knows me only as my male name.  Has the longing to be a woman gone away because I haven’t done anything about it? No. Obviously.  Although I have not begun transitioning, I have achieved a couple of things this year.  One is that I survived my wife catching me out and finding a pair of knickers that I had forgotten to hide. It was awful, and she was terribly upset, but I got through it and that is somethi...